11.29.2007

simply shocking gifts

Gag gifts are some of my favorites. From old standards like the hand-held joy buzzer to MP3 players, we have some shocking gag gifts to stuff stockings and scare the stuffing out of the people on your list this year.

The joy buzzer is an old favorite that never goes out of style. The beauty of this little Thing is that it can be concealed in your palm until an unsuspecting victim dares to shake your hand. Then: BZZZZT!

Another favorite shocker is the perfectly innocent-looking
pack of gum. When a moocher asks you for a piece, you simply extend the pack and wait for the zap! One of my favorites is the shocking stack of quarters. You just put them in a conspicuous place and watch the sparks fly when a greedy hand goes to grab them.

Useful Things can be shocking, too. For example, this flashlight really works—if you know the secret, but it delivers quite a jolt to people who don't. This pen looks like an expensive, high-quality ballpoint pen, but it comes with an electrifying extra feature. My sister, being the notorious pen pincher that she is, always goes for it. I bet I've gotten her with this one at least a dozen times. Her reaction is almost always the same—first she's surprised, then she's mad at me for getting her again, then she's mad at herself for not remembering that I'm always getting her with the very same gag. Sisters are so entertaining sometimes.

You can get the smokers in your life with this
shocking lighter. Maybe you could give it to someone who's trying to quit and suggests a little bit of “behavior modification therapy.” Every time they try to light up, they'll get zapped.

The
shocking candy jar could work the same way for someone who's trying to cut back on the sweets. But my favorite is the shocking MP3 player because it looks so real. While shocking gum and pens and joy buzzers have been around for a long time, no one suspects the MP3 player. It works on everyone, including the people who know me well, who know my penchant for playing practical jokes and even people who have fallen victim to my shocking sense of humor before. It has never failed me. Not once.

I hope this gives you a few electrifying ideas for gag gifts or even gifts for yourself. Next week, I'll show you some great stocking stuffers you can get for under a buck.

No comments: