12.12.2007

games for giving & playing

It probably won't surprise you that I love to play games. Video games, board games, puzzles—it doesn't matter, I'll play. This time of year is perfect for recruiting players because the house is usually full of guests and it's cold outside. Last night we were playing a hilarious new board game: The Redneck Game. It's based on the blue collar comedy of Jeff Foxworthy. The object of the game is to fill in the blanks to questions like: “You might be a Redneck if you've ever picked your teeth with a: Menu? Fork? Pen at the Bank?" and “You might be a Redneck if you get your daily amount of fiber from: Pork rinds? Toothpicks? Chewin' tobacco?” If you pick the one that's the official Foxworthy answer, you get all kinds of neat stuff to fill your trailer. The game is so funny I didn't even care that I wasn't the first to fill my trailer.

A Christmas Story” is a board game from the classic movie that brings back memories of scenes like the Schoolyard, The Alley, the Department Store Santa, and "Double Dog Dares!" You win points by answering trivia questions from the movie to win the ultimate prize: the coveted B.B. gun. And in Pirates Of The Caribbean Trilogy Monopoly you play the role of your favorite pirate and battle for control of the high seas. Buy, sell and trade the most popular locations from all three movies, Port Royal Jail, Cannibal Village, Shipwreck City, Singapore Bath House and more are on the block. The thing I like about this version is it has a 60-minute speed-play option, which keeps everyone on their toes.

Everything goes better with pop culture and chess is no exception. This
South Park Chess Set is right up my alley. The makers matched the characters to chess pieces perfectly: Chef is King, Big Gay Al is Queen, Kyle is Bishop, Cartman is Knight, and Kenny is (what else?) Pawn. I play this one with a friend who can impersonate almost every character in the show. Chess was never so funny. If you like a more traditional chess game but with an electronic twist, try out the Touch Screen Chess game. It's a tough computer to beat, but with 56 levels, a threat indicator, and a hint key you stand a fighting chance even against the computer.

Finally, this
Major League Baseball Rookie Card Puzzle is my newest brain teaser. You'd think a puzzle of baseball cards would be simple, but it's not as easy as it seems. It's a collage of rookie cards for Hall-of-Famers, but the cards aren't lined up in neat little rows and the thing is just full of color. The cool thing about this puzzle is that you get to check out the rookie cards for some of baseball's greatest players like Jackie Robinson, Sandy Koufax, and Mickey Mantle.

I'm still trying to solve this
Fifteen Puzzle I told you about a couple of weeks ago. We've sold it for years and I've never been able to solve it. It drives me nuts. I give up on it. Try again. Give up on it. Try again. I'll solve it. You just wait and see...

1 comment:

PoolShark said...

Again, great gift ideas. If you bump into some new pool accessory, I'll be happy to mention it and of course give you a credit in my blog.
Cheers!